11.21.2008

Ode to the Cornish Pasty

This post is to celebrate the Cornish Pasty, properly pronounced Past-ee (not paste-ee). What many of you only know as a frozen food item, a pasty is a staple here often found in malls, street corners and gastropubs. Usually sought by fast-food lovers and those who recently consumed too much alcohol, a pasty is like a pastry. A delicate, flaky crust filled with nothing but goodness. A traditional pasty is filled with meat, sliced potatoes and onion and baked to perfection. However, dozens and dozens of flavors can be found at any local pasty shop. My recent choice was a rather fine chicken and vegetable pasty, and my friend enjoyed a lamb and mint pasty. You can also find fruit variations such as pork and apple or turkey and cherry. In my opinion, the filling choices are truly endless and apparently it's possible to even find dessert pastys like chocolate and banana!

The origin of the pasty itself is largely unknown but they have been around since at least the 13th century. It is commonly agreed to that their birthplace was in Cornwall, UK, a coastal region at the southwest tip of the kingdom. I would encourage each and every one of you to enjoy a pasty at some point in your life.

A few of you have asked me to start posting more pics and information about the foods I eat when I travel. As many of you know, I have a rather dangerous addiction to food. Therefore, I would love nothing more than to include food in my blog from now on. For your enjoyment, I have included some pictures below of food that I have already enjoyed. I still doubt most of you are as excited as I am to see these pics, but I hope you enjoy them regardless!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bbergey/FoodRound1#

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course this makes me think of this song. Hehe.

I remember stopping at a pasty restaurant in Australia too, they were so delicious compared to the frozen versions you can buy at Costco that are still pretty good. When I ate meat.

Speaking of pies, I made pot pie the other day, because I am awesome.

Lise M said...

I was wondering where all the food pics went to. And, btw, its not wrong to love food so much!

Anonymous said...

Mine would be filled with, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, hashbrowns, onions, and ketchup. Amazing!

Brian Bergey said...

A vegetarian made a pot pie, now we're talking! haha I heart Costco.

Michelle - that is the best sounding pasty I've ever heard of. You can get bfast pasty's at the place across from where I work but I've never tried them. I think we should try making one when I'm there. I think maybe one including peanut butter would be awesome too. Maybe peanut butter, jelly and banana?