11.05.2008

Election from Afar

If you're like me, US politics and the election process isn't really that exciting. In the past, it's been something I've done because I'm supposed to. I will be the first to admit that I don't educate myself as much as I should about the candidates or issues, and I never fully understood the significance of my opportunity and right to vote. Overall, I felt like my vote isn't really going to change anything or make a difference. And even if it did, why would I want to participate in a system that many of us believe is corrupt.

Taking in the election from oversees has really changed my ideas about our rights as Americans and what our country is all about. Regardless of whether or not our vote makes a real difference, we still have the right to make the vote. We have the privilege of taking part in a system that is for the people and participating in something that most other countries don't get the opportunity to participate in. As seen in recent events, the US and our actions effect the entire world. Each of us had the opportunity to make a global difference.

I'm not sure why it's different now that I'm gone, but it has been really interesting watching the events occur from overseas and hearing people comment on them. For the first time, I think I'm actually proud of my country and what it stands for. It's unfortunate that it took me leaving the country to find that out, but at least now I know. It's pretty cool.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you vote this time around?

And did you see that Indiana might go blue? I couldn't believe it! My state is still red but that didn't stop me from standing in line for 90 minutes to vote.

Brian Bergey said...

Oops! I should have mentioned...yes, I did vote! :-)

Go Blue!

Anonymous said...

Gobama

Unknown said...

Hey I think what you said is very cool! Eric has the same opinion as you or at least your old one! I should make him read what you said!