6.14.2008

Flat Sweet Flat

So I have a place to live. After a full week of looking at multiple places each day, I finally made myself make a decision. Part of me really wanted to wait until I found the perfect place, but I didn't want to risk the fact that the perfect place may never come along. I also wanted to get settled so I can start living as normal a life as possible (and I was tired of living in a hotel!) and this place was available immediatley. I have to be honest and say that it wasn't my first choice, but I'm really starting to like it! My first choice didn't go through because the management company didn't want to work with my references in the States. The biggest reason it wasn't my first choice is because it is an apartment building. I really wanted to live in a true flat, but the building definitely has it's benefits like added security and a great view! I have two flatmates, both girls, and one has been gone all week. Marsha, the girl who has been here, is great and we are getting along very well. She joined my coworkers and I for drinks on Friday and we are going to join a gym nearby next week. She is English and I think she said she is 24. Saundrine is French and I don't really know anything about her yet!

Below is a picture of my building. I'll be the first to admit that it's really not that attractive. Although another advantage I forgot to mention above is that we are directly across the street from a neighborhood pub, The Queens Arms. I haven't been there yet but my guess is that won't last for long.





The flat is located about halfway between Hammersmith and Fulham. It's about a 15 minute walk to work in central Hammersmith, less than ten minutes to the nearest tube station, and 15 minutes to Fulham Broadway. Of course there are plenty of buses within minutes as well. Hammersmith and Fulham are both great areas with malls, lots of shops and excellent resturaunts and pubs. Fulham is especially known for it's nightscene and resturaunts. When walking to work or the nearest tube station, I get to walk through this cementary at the end of our road. It's kinda odd, but it is a really big commuter route for foot traffic. From what I can see, most people buried there died in the late 1800s and early 1900s.







Like I mentioned, one great benefits of living on the 7th floor of a building are the excellent views. These were taken out my window right above my bed!









The inside is really nice and it's the main reason I kept this flat in mind during my search. Below are some pictures of the inside. My room is really small. In fact the entire place is pretty small. There is a small common area connected to the kitchen. It is not unusual at all to see flats in London that do not have this type of area at all. In many cases, these rooms were converted into bedrooms to make the rent cheaper. You will also see our washing machine that tumble dries clothes too! It's pretty cool, although the clothes come out a little wrinkled. It's a very efficient machine though. We also have a sweet shower.









So that's the place! The rent is really good for the area, since it is a really well-known and popular area to be. So I feel like it's a great opportunity to live close to work in a good area, but also have more money to do the things I want to do while I'm here like travel!

Warning! If you decide to come visit me, just keep in mind that this place is really small and not really condusive to visitors, at least for not long periods of time. So if you come, we'll just have to travel around and spend some time elsewhere too! I'm pretty sure I can fit a single sized air mattress on my bedroom floor, and there is certainly size for one in the kitchen if not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The shower looks complicated