1.31.2009

January Book Review - Scratch Beginnings

I can tell what you're thinking. A book review on Brian's blog? First of all, this is where I go to read about random European adventures and see what Brian is up to in London! Second, Brian doesn't really read!

Well, hopefully that's gonna change a little; and don't worry, the review won't be long. One of my goals this year is to read a book every month. Not a significant accomplishment to many of you, but for me it's pretty good. My first book, which I completed during my travels in Switzerland, was a book given to me by my Dad and Kathy for Christmas. It's called Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard. It's a true story about a recent college grad who left home with the clothes on his back, $25 in cash, a sleeping bag, and restricted from using previous contacts or relying on his college education. He randomly set out to the city of Charleston, SC where he had a goal of getting a job, saving $2500, have a working automobile, and a furnished apartment. All within one year.

I found the story itself really intriguing, and reading the real life experiences he had with other homeless and disadvantaged people were both funny and sad. You could tell it was Adam's first time writing anything significant and the writing was sometimes a little dry, but the story kept my interest in what was going to happened and didn't cause any hesitation to keep reading. Kinda how I see this blog; not literary by any means but people tell me they enjoy reading it and continue to do so. It also shows pride and the great opportunity that exists in America for those who are disciplined and willing to work hard. You'll also learn a little about homeless living in the south which is interesting enough.

If you're looking for a different type of story and a quick read, I would recommend this book. My next book was recommended to me by my friend Ryan. It's an English authored book called Girlfriend 44.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray, reading. :)

I know blogging about it is probably enough, but you can also keep track in GoodReads. That's a link to my profile there. But I'm a huge nerd who likes to make lists and keep track.

Brian Bergey said...

I love everything online! I just signed up. :-)